Thursday 21st January
Thursday 21st January 2021
Good afternoon everyone.
I hope that you are all ok. Next week we hope to have a live Zoom session for children at home so do look out for more information.
Have you been trying any of our home learning activities this week? We have lots of pictures today of children busy at home including a friend who baked a marvelous cake all by himself (with a little help).
If you were thinking of having a Teddy Bear’s Picnic you could try this simple cup cake recipe. Cooking with children is so valuable. Children will usually try food they have helped to make and cooking together develops mathematical understanding and helps children to learn new vocabulary. In addition although we always focus on the process rather than the product, there is usually a nice product to try at the end of the activity.
Cup Cake Recipe
- 110g softened butter
- 110g golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 110g self-raising flour
For the buttercream
- 150g softened butter
- 300g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- food colouring paste of your choice (optional)
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and fill a 12 cupcake tray with cases.
- Using an electric whisk beat 110g softened butter and 110g golden caster sugar together until pale and fluffy then whisk in 2 large eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Add ½ tsp vanilla extract, 110g self-raising flour and a pinch of salt, whisk until just combined then spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases.
- Bake for 15 mins until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream, whisk 150g softened butter until super soft then add 300g icing sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk together until smooth (start off slowly to avoid an icing sugar cloud) then beat in 3 tbsp milk.
- If wanting to colour, stir in the food colouring now. Spoon or pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
In nursery today children on the first floor prepared their own Teddy Bear’s picnic, it was quite a posh one, with sandwiches they made themselves, scones, clotted cream and jam.
Ground floor children made their own book all about Goldilocks and over in red class, the children played “what’s in the box”? And also practiced mark making.
We have a lovely story to listen to today called “ A chair for baby bear”, poor baby bear has to wait ages for his parents to get round to fixing his broken chair. Do have a listen.
Have a good evening and stay safe.